Monday, April 21, 2008

off keroncong and rock and roll

I remembered when I told my friends that I adore keroncong, most of them, they reacted negatively.

They said ‘Yeah rite…’sarcastically.

Actually, I do. I grew up listening to Mak singing keroncong songs, especially by Hetty Koes Endang. Car rides back to Melaka would usually be played by keroncong and Mak’s happy sing-along sessions.

Babah would burn CDs and buy CDs full of keroncong songs.

Even Busu Tipah bought a CD for Babah from Indonesia, not all but full of keroncong songs, sang by not so renowned singer …but for sure, it was ecstasy.

Back at home, right after dinner Babah would play the piano, gracefully and Mak would seat near him, sing the song that he played with poise. We, (Anjul, Anjimin and I would seat in the living room, listen to the duet and talk).

That used to be the regular routine. (Huh, regular routine???)

Nana and Isya know this. The neighbours, they do know this fact, for sure.

Mak and Babah favourite song would be Merak Kayangan (it’s not keroncong, by the way).

My Mak and Babah, my parents, they are talented, for sure.

Sometimes, Mak would sing Sayang di Sayang (Her voice is almost similar to the singer, for the record), while doing the laundry.

I would listen to it, from my room. She has this soft and old-skool voice, I may say.

And Babah has this extraordinary talent. Give him any single instrument (in favour, would be the piano, guitar and flute) he can magically play.

Nay, he didn’t attend any class… he just listens and plays.

So, if anyone says that it is weird for me to listen to keroncong, that person should read this post.

Though I usually listen to any music with heavy beats with amazing guitar riffs and sexy English accent, I do listen to every type of music.

Yes, I am.

I hate to stereotype, but I say a BIG FAT NO to any songs that degraded women, which would usually be form the Hip Hop genre.

All they want is just to describe how to get under her dress.

I don’t even need to mention their video clips. A teenager, who doesn’t know about the video clip, shall be labelled as ignorant.

Bling-bling dudes with extravagant cars holding glasses of wine and chicks with ‘I don’t have enough clothes to wear, so I pinjam my little sister’s” dancing, are everywhere, ya all...

I wonder how the ladies feel about it. Proud (of their body)? Do they feel sexy or just plain nothing for the sake of ART??

Haha. Classic.

-_-"

I guess it’s their way to appreciate themselves. Their form of expressions to appreciate their bodies.

I would rather listen to Regina. Delightful voice, with quirky lyrics and yes, awe-inspiring sound of the piano, why should I say no?

P/s; I am Raihan. I appreciate good music. Define good music, please.

2 comments:

Fara Aqilah said...

you make me have this itching sensation of wanting to search for keroncong songs on imeem
:)
p/s: hetty koes endang is the one who sang "kasih" kan??

i lyke dat song.*)

the raihan said...

yup,babe.for sure!